In a city as charged as Portland, it can be challenging to keep track of what's happening when. If you're looking to indulge your artistic/creative side, there are many calendars out there, including this listing of more than a dozen right here on this web site.
But what if you're connecting professionally, through (or seeking) business? Fear not, there are likewise numerous online resources to lay it out for you by the day, week, or month. A few you should know about:
- The Greater Portland Quality of Life Council maintains an excellent listing of "policy, business & community development events."
- The City of Portland's calendar gives you the inside skinny on what's occurring within the halls of power.
- If you're just starting out, you'll probably want to meet like-minded entrepreneur-types. Track what's taking place at Peloton Labs, Casco Bay Tech Hub, Think Tank Portland, and the Maine Center for Entrepreneurial Development.
- A more tradtional business community (and their calendar) is found at the Portland Regional Chamber.
- Mainebiz, "Maine's business news source," maintains a good calendar.
- You might want to keep an eye on what's happening at the University of Southern Maine, the University of New England, and the Maine College of Art.
- Then there's the Portland SCORE office.
- It's more statewide than purely local, but Maine Business Works has quite a compendium.
Of course, it'll always be the case that someone will tell you about a valuable meeting they were at, and you'll wonder, "How come I didn't hear about that?" Portland's business community has many facets and many access points. The good news is that it's also incredibly welcoming. So if you see something that sounds interesting, make a note and stop by -- it just might lead to something good.